It's All Black and White


Actually, it's all shades of grey, if I'm being accurate.

A boy in a paper sailboat, for my children's book portfolio. It's a novel thing for me to work in grey scale, but really important for my portfolio (or so I've been told). I'm not sure if it's ready to go up on my website, though, and I may do some more work on it.

I think it's obvious that this has been inspired by the art in "Where the Wild Things Are." I suppose it's an homage. (In elementary school, our class had to memorize and recite that book during an evening assembly. We had a visionary music and drama teacher who coordinated massive performances a few times a year with the whole school, from kindergarten to grade 6. The themes of these performances ranged from the Olympics to Ghostbusters and there were choirs, instruments, marches, dances and plays, all flowing in dramatic fashion from one thing to the next. We used to get so excited and looked forward to these events with such anticipation. After I left, I heard that music and drama was fazed out and the teacher that caused such inspiration left the school. I wish Mrs. Green could have known how much she gave me; I wish I could have thanked her.)

Comments

Popular Posts