Illustrating a book





It had always been a dream of mine to illustrate a children's book. That dream came true this year, as I was assigned by Orca Book publishers to illustrate Laurie Elmquist's Forest Baby. It is a very beautiful story about a mum and baby going for a walk in the forest. I was extremely happy to work on the project and the art director was a dream to work with.

However, I did learn several things from this experience:

1) Work SMALLER. I worked on huge 24x 20 sheets. But since I digitally alter them, I really don't need to work this large.

2) Scan everything on layers. Sometimes, adjustments are needed. If things are on layers, it makes it way easier.

3) Plan for time to rest my eyes. It's a good idea to look at the art with fresh eyes- this way it is way easier to see flaws or things that look a little "off."

Altogether, though, I am quite pleased with how the illustrations turned out. It will be in stores in March 2018. Now I'm looking forward to my next project!




Comments

Popular Posts